The production team behind the Timothee Chalamet-led feature film "Bones and All" received $50,000 from the city for extra security after car break-ins and thefts were reported to police earlier this month.
The film company also cited "unwanted, sort of intruders trying to enter our set in a unauthorized fashion."
The Enquirer tracked down new details on the crimes that triggered a Mayor John Cranley-backed request for city funds and a lively discussion in Cincinnati City Council. one councilman told The Enquirer Thursday the vote sets a bad precedent.
"We feel it's super important for us to try to keep our cast and crew as safe as possible," Theresa Park, president of Per Capita Productions, said at the council meeting Wednesday. Per Capita is housed in a Queensgate office building; officials did not return two calls and one email.
Cincinnati police spokeswoman Emily Szink told The Enquirer seven people reported multiple thefts from and damages to their vehicles on June 6 near the company's production office. The break-ins occurred sometime between June 1 and 6. The victims reported a total loss of $5,500 in broken car windows and stolen items such as a gun, cash, clothing and tools.
Park said these vehicles belong to crew members, "most of whom are local to this region."
Park said the office is open to employees for work with many "coming and going at all times of day or night." Because of this, security is "a major issue for us."
She added that the company is spending millions of their $16 million budget hiring local crews, booking hotels, and paying local vendors. She said she considers this money an investment that will be worthwhile for the city.
Goodin: 'Setting a bad precedent.'
The ordinance to spend $50,000 passed 7-2 Wednesday with council members Christopher Smitherman, Greg Landsman, David Mann, Liz Keating, Betsy Sundermann, Wendell Young and Jan-Michele Lemon Kearney voting yes. Councilmen Chris Seelbach and Steve Goodin voted against it.
Goodin initially voted for the ordinance at the Budget and Finance Committee but changed his vote to no at the council meeting Wednesday. He told The Enquirer that "it's setting a bad precedent" for the council to give $50,000 to a private business.
"This is a for-profit production, and it looks as though a lot of the production that's occurring isn't even going to be in Cincinnati city limits. From my understanding, it's all over the region and there's only about three weeks of production left."
Filming for the movie has taken place in parts of Kentucky and Ohio as well as in city limits, according to Park. Production is also expected to wrap up in July.
"If we could have taken that $50,000 and installed a couple new crosswalks over in East Westwood, that would have been a good day," Goodin said. "When you vote on a budget, you're voting on your priorities."
The film company will hire a security detail of Cincinnati police officers and send an invoice to the city to pay, said Kelly Carr of the city manager's office. The amount cannot exceed $50,000.
At the council meeting, Councilwoman Kearney said this film will provide revenue and jobs for the city.
Councilman Seelbach was one of two dissenters. At the city council meeting Wednesday, he said it's unfortunate that the company experienced theft but "it's not a nonprofit movie." He said the film's $16 million budget should cover the cost.
Cranley sought the protection for production on the feature film, "Bones and All." The movie, helmed by director Luca Guadagnino and starring Chalamet, began filming here earlier this summer.