Cincy NewsNews

Keep social distance at parks; we need the feds’ help, and vote

CINCINNATI — Mayor John Cranley echoed Friday afternoon the message he's delivered all week: Without assistance from the state or federal government, cuts to basic services will become a "brutal" reality.

The city faces as much as $100 million in budget deficits over the next 15 months due to lost revenues that resulted from the continued spread of the novel coronavirus. Cincinnati did not qualify for federal aid through the CARES Act passed by Congress last month. Cranley said he remains hopeful Cincinnati will see some relief from a future package.

Beyond cuts to police, fire and sanitation, the city could also have to shut down its parks, Cranley said.

Cincinnati Parks Director Kara Kish applauded visitors to the city's parks for their vigilance in maintaining social distance and urged them to keep it up.

Cincinnati Health Commissioner Melba Moore said as of 3 p.m. there were 25 new cases reported on Friday and 60 new cases reported on Thursday, bringing the city's current total positive COVID-19 cases to 381.

The racial breakdown of the cases as of Friday afternoon was as follows:

  • 90 white
  • 107 African American
  • 1 Asian
  • 1 Pacific Islander
  • 161 unknown
  • 20 other
  • 1 chose not to answer

Moore said the city's health clinics had 347 test kits on-hand.

Cranley warned that he anticipates cases will continue to surge, especially as testing becomes more prevalent throughout the state in the coming days and weeks.

"We haven't peaked yet," he said.

Cranley began and concluded his remarks Friday afternoon by reminding residents to mail in their ballots for Tuesday's Ohio primary. Read frequently asked questions about the all-absentee primary here.




Source link

Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button