Welcome to Cincinnati.com's live coverage of FC Cincinnati's 2021 season-opener against Nashville SC at Nissan Stadium (8:30 p.m. ET). Refresh this page throughout the match updates and analysis from Enquirer FC Cincinnati beat writer Pat Brennan, and find additional commentary on Twitter, @PBrennanENQ.
In-match updates –
• 20th minute – GOAL, Nashville SC (1-2), Jhonder Cadiz. Nashville broke FCC's defense wide open with some simple but classy passing, leaving Cadiz on the doorstep for the close-range finish. Game on at Nissan Stadium.
• 12th minute – GOAL, FC Cincinnati (0-2), Brenner: Brenner, applying pressure on Nashville as the hosts tried to play out of the back, was hauled down in the box by NSC goalkeeper Joe Willie, but play continued. A video review of the play saw the action, which continued on for several minutes, halted and brought back for an FCC penalty kick, which Brenner buried to score on his official Cincinnati debut.
• 8th minute – GOAL, FC Cincinnati (0-1), Luciano Acosta: FC Cincinnati capitalized off a Nashville turnover and ultimately saw FCC's new No. 10 poke home his first for the club to open the club's 2021 account.
Pre-match updates –
• FC Cincinnati starting XI (bench): Przemysław Tytoń (GK), Joseph-Claude Gyau, Nick Hagglund, Tom Pettersson, Ronald Matarrita, Kamohelo Mokotjo, Yuya Kubo, Alvaro Barreal, Luciano Acosta, Calvin Harris, Brenner Souza da Silva (Edgar Castillo, Allan Cruz, Avionne Flanagan, Jurgen Locadia, Haris Medunjanin, Ben Mines, Caleb Stanko, Brandon Vazquez).
• FC Cincinnati's starting lineup has several interesting features. Aside from a first-choice back line, 2021 SuperDraft selection Calvin Harris is making his debut for the club in the opener. Locadia (thigh injury) is dressed and warming up in pre-game activities but evidently wasn't fit enough to start the match.